An expert in child development, parenting, and related mental health issues, Dr. Azmaira Maker has over 20 years of experience as a licensed clinical psychologist. Dr. Maker has served as an expert consultant, clinician, presenter, and author across the country. She holds a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Vassar College, a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from University of Michigan, and she completed a two-year post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Michigan Hospital, Dept. of Psychiatry. She has taught and supervised undergraduate and graduate students, and has published professional articles in scientific, peer-reviewed journals.
A private practitioner, Dr. Maker specializes in child development, parenting, assessments, and psychotherapy. She currently resides in San Diego, CA with her family. Family Changes is her first book, for which she has won multiple awards. Dr. Maker is currently working on her other books on pregnancy loss, children’s social anxiety, explaining IVF to children, helping children cope with trauma, and differences in children.
In the News
- Donovan, CA BookWatch praises Where Did My Friend Go? “No other picture book provides this perspective, making Where Did My Friend Go? a top recommendation that should be in any library offering emotional support tools for adults working with kids“.
- The Kathryn Zox Show on Voice America interviews Dr. Maker on her new book, Where Did My Friend Go?, with a discussion on how to help kids cope with a traumatic death.
- Donna Seebo (June 8th 2017, show # 826) interviews Dr. Maker on helping children cope with a traumatic death and her new book, Where Did My Friend Go?
- The Awesome Muse publishes Dr. Maker’s article on helping children cope with a traumatic death, along with details of her new book, Where Did My Friend Go?
- Dr. Maker discusses teen suicide in the San Diego Union Tribune.
- Dad’s Spotlight interviews Dr. Maker about her new book Where Did My Friend Go? Helping Children Cope With A Traumatic Death.
- The Next Chapter praises Family Changes: Explaining Divorce to Children as an outstanding new book.
- The Child Centered Divorce Network interviews Dr. Maker on tips and tools to navigate divorce tug-of-wars in positive ways.
- The Family Psychologist, Fall 2016 (American Psychological Association) interviews Dr. Maker on her new upcoming book, Where Did My Friend Go? Helping Children Cope With A Traumatic Death. The Family Psychologist interviews Dr. Maker on Where Did My Friend Go?
- Dr. Maker discusses raising children in interfaith marriages in The Chicago Tribune.
- The Chicago Tribune speaks to Dr. Maker as an expert about children’s anxiety and fears about racism and terrorism.
- Family Changes: Explaining Divorce to Children receives an excellent review in The Examiner.
- Dr. Maker’s article, Managing Your Divorce At Work: Tools To Stay Focused And Productive, is featured in Human Talent Network.
- NEPA Family Magazine features Dr. Maker’s article on guidelines for navigating divorce during the holiday season.
- The Midwest Book Review highly recommends Family Changes: Explaining Divorce to Children for parents and all libraries.
- 92130 Magazine praises Family Changes: Explaining Divorce to Children and highlights Dr. Maker’s expertise as a psychologist, consultant, and speaker on topics of divorce, school and learning issues, child development, and loss.
- The Del Mar Times/Carmel Valley News endorses Dr. Maker and Family Changes as an exceptional resource for divorcing families, therapists, and advocates working with children of divorce.
- Family Changes: Explaining Divorce to Children receives high praise in BabySpot, CA.
- Macaroni Kid highly recommends Family Changes: Explaining Divorce to Children to divorcing families and other adults who are helping children with divorce.
- Dr. Maker provides effective tips and tools in her article Explaining Divorce to Young Children published in Thrive Magazine.
- Family Changes: Explaining Divorce to Children is highly recommended in Counseling Today Book Releases August 2015.
- The Littlest Bookshelf strongly endorses Family Changes: Explaining Divorce to Children as a must read for divorcing families with young children.
- Urban Family interviews Dr. Maker for expert advice on what happens when friends divorce.
- CA Bookwatch and Donovan’s Literary Reviews provides an excellent review and recommendation for Family Changes: Explaining Divorce to Children.
- Family Changes: Explaining Divorce to Children receives high praise and an excellent review from Flourish Magazine.
- Book Marketing Buzz Blog interviews Dr. Maker to provide expert advice to parents divorcing with young children, and to explain the purpose and effectiveness of her book Family Changes: Explaining Divorce to Children.
- Family Changes: Explaining Divorce to Children is featured in L.A. Splash Magazine and listed in the L.A. Splash Magazine Book Gift Guide for 2015.
- Dr. Maker provides expert advice on friendships and relationships in Glamour Magazine.
- Family Changes: Explaining Divorce to Children featured on The Jen List, Wednesday.
On the Radio
Dad Spotlight features Dr. Azmaira Maker, and Family Changes: Explaining Divorce to Children
Dr. Maker shared her thoughts on discussing divorce with your children on It’s Your Community Radio. Listen Here.
Listen to Dr. Maker’s interview with Mandy Walker on Web Talk Radio. Conversations About Divorce – How Do You Tell Your Children About Your Divorce?