Ann is an Expressive Arts & Somatic Experiencing Practitioner with 30 years of experience in public health & education working with adolescents, children, and families in schools and community centers. Ann has expertise in understanding how our bodies and brains are impacted by, and carry the story of trauma, loss and grief, anxiety, depression, and other mental health concerns. Ann’s approach is positive and creative, utilizing arts, sculpting, music, writing, dance, and somatic therapy for the body to heal and bring forth our innate capacity for resilience. Any level of art experience is welcome as Ann gently guides her clients through a restorative creative process through mind and body for self care, self expression, coping, and healing.
With the foundational understanding that clients are trying to communicate a need that they may not yet have the language for and that we cannot heal alone, Ann creates a safe and secure environment for healing to occur. Anne’s additional specialty in somatic therapy compliments and enhances her expressive arts expertise by incorporating to help release how a physical body holds on to stress, tension, and trauma, grief, and anxiety, rather than only resolving problems verbally. As a somatic therapist, Ann guides clients to focus on their underlying physical sensations. From there, the mind-body exercises may include breath work, meditation, visualization, grounding, dance, and/or sensation awareness work.
Ann’s mission is to support children and families impacted by stress to reclaim their vitality and step into the fullest expression of themselves. Utilizing the power of the arts and the wisdom of our bodies, Ann demonstrates how what’s happening in our bodies directly impacts our behaviors. Together, she will find unique solutions to your particular challenges.
- Master’s in Public Health, Columbia University.
- B.S., Biological Sciences, UCLA.
- Master’s in Expressive Arts Therapy, The Expressive Arts Institute of San Diego and The European Graduate School, Saas Fee, Switzerland.
- SEP Certification (Somatic Experiencing Practitioner) professional certification, Somatic Experiencing International.
- Certificate Program, Young Audiences San Diego, The Teaching Artist Institute.
- Teaching Artist, Arts for Learning San Diego, San Diego.
- Founder and Director, Mistakes Welcome, San Diego.
- Expressive Arts Practitioner, Monarch School, San Diego.
- Expressive Arts Intern, Arts for Learning San Diego.
- Expressive Arts Intern, ARTS (A Reason to Survive), San Diego.
- Executive Director and Co-founder, Hawaii Education Matters, Honolulu, HI.
- Project Manager, Center for Health Interventions and Technology, La Jolla.
- Project Coordinator, UCLA Center for Community Health, Family Studies Unit, New York, NY.
She specializes in:
- Chronic Pain
- Grief and Loss
- Learning Difficulties
- Life Transitions
- Terminal Illness
- Spectrum Difficulties
With the gentle foundation of a caring and trusting therapeutic relationship, Ann supports her clients to connect to their innate creativity.
Ann uses multiple mediums in her work including:
- Somatic Therapy
Any level of art experience is welcome, as Ann gently guides you through the creative process for mind-body connections, personal reflection, self expression, coping, self-care, and healing.
Ann works closely and collaboratively with your providers and the Aspiring Families team to provide you with comprehensive and integrative interventions.