This form of therapy includes EEG sensors that monitor your brainwaves and a computer to send feedback to you and your brain.
It is suitable for both kids and adults and typically involves playing a game, listening to music, or watching a video. The stimuli (game, music, or video) only operates smoothly when your brainwaves are functioning within an optimal range. This acts as a reward for your brain.
When your brainwaves fire at a rate that is not optimal, you receive negative feedback (your movie pauses, the game doesn’t work, the music stops, etc.). This feedback tells your brain that something is out of balance and causes it to “figure out” how to return to a seamless movie, music, or game.
Over the course of a training program, your brain learns from this feedback. This can promote lasting changes within your brain. The brain then consistently operates within a more optimal range outside of your training sessions, alleviating your symptoms.
- We start with conducting a comprehensive brain mapping assessment that includes brainwave analysis using the latest qEEG technology, a clinical interview, and other clinically validated diagnostic tests to identify an accurate understanding of your unique brain activity.
- The assessment identifies the underlying brain areas related to your lack of focus, sleep issues, stress, OCD, anxiety, mood, inattention, and more. We analyze the information your brain gives us to develop an individualized protocol and treatment plan.
- Using advanced qEEG technology, 19 sensors are attached to record your brain’s electrical activity to identify the specific areas of your brain that are understimulated, overstimulated, or typical in functioning.
- Your report shows the areas of your brain related to your symptoms that need to be re-trained based on the brain mapping assessment. We analyze the data to develop an individualized brain training program focused on your unique challenges.
We utilize the latest 19 sensor neurofeedback machine here in our clinic. This allows us to train 19 different areas of your brain simultaneously. You wear a cap fitted with 19 sensors that produce a visualization of your brain waves for the psychologist to observe on a monitor. Your active and passive brain waves are measured, and then you are exposed to music, videos, and games dependent on the treatment goal.
The intent of the games, music, or movie is to have you focus on the desired outcome. In doing so, you change your brain frequencies, frequently without realizing it, to achieve the task. You receive instant feedback when your brainwave frequencies fall within the desired treatment range to change volume, size, or the game outcome. The psychologist guides you to achieve target results and reinforces certain frequencies while inhibiting other frequencies. At the same time, your brain learns what frequencies to change and how to change them, often without you being aware of the process.
The brain’s ability to change across a lifetime is known as neuroplasticity. With neurofeedback training, the brain learns how to change and function more effectively, enabling the brain to learn and develop new skills. It strengthens activity in many areas of the brain and reinforces the connections or communications between areas. This results in a decrease in symptoms, a significant increase in function, and enhanced performance to:
- Improve focus and attention
- Improve mood
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Improve the quality of sleep
- Increase energy level
- Improve recovery (faster muscle and mental recovery)
- Reduce the frequency and intensity of headaches and migraines
- Improve memory
Aspiring Families: Trusted San Diego Neurofeedback Therapy Specialists
Seeking a neurofeedback assessment may be the first step in building the roadmap to your health and recovery. We integrate neurofeedback treatment to other treatment protocols or provide it as an independent treatment plan based on your unique needs.
If you’re struggling with depression, migraines, sleep, or other conditions but would rather avoid medication, fill out the form below. Aspiring Families is proud to offer LORETA Z score 19 channel neurofeedback in our clinic, which is FDA approved.